Engagements Kids Quinceañeras Seniors Slideshows/Videos Studio Weddings
Eclipsi Photography Personal Blog MySpace Foro de Fotógrafos

Why "Eclipsi"? Several reasons. A lot of things have fascinated me since I was a little kid. A few have determined my personality and who I am. Three things have caught my attention predominantly: Languages, People, and the Universe. More...



Monday, April 7, 2008

About


''
Why "Eclipsi"?
Several reasons. A lot of things have fascinated me since I was a little kid. A few have determined my personality and who I am. Three things have caught my attention predominantly: Languages, People, and the Universe.

My interest for the first comes from my father. He imbued the beauty of languages, cultures and hence diversity. I have a singular interest for Romance Languages, meaning the ones derived from Latin, such as Portuguese, French, Italian and Spanish. (Interestingly, there is only one more Romance Language and that is Rumanian). But there is another language that sparked my mind: Greek. It was the very fist alphabet I saw after the Spanish one. My brother showed me the signs and I couldn’t believe there was another form of communication besides my own language. I must have been 5 years old. The Omega sign “Ω” caught immediately my attention and since then, I ‘adopted’ it as something that identifies me. I won’t deny that Spanish is my favorite language, but the fact that the etymology of a large number of its words comes from the Greek, makes me see that perfect bond between these two languages.

I am originally from Mexico City, one of the most mystic and beautiful cities in the world. (This statement is completely subjective). One cannot escape from being captivated by the magic it possesses.

Living in Mexico City, looking at the sky at night, I realized there were no stars, and often, no moon to see. So when I got to see a clear sky at night for the first time, I couldn’t get enough of it. I just fell in love right there and then. I thought I was so lucky to live in a planet, which during the day had so many forms and colors, and at night, the absence of these and the simplicity of a shadow and light made the most beautiful sight one could imagine. (Plato in his “Republic” refers the things that we perceive as real being actually just shadows on a wall.)

Latter on in my life, one night during a Lunar eclipse, (February 20th, 2008 to be precise), I realized that sometimes, we are a pure combination of light and shadows, and I don't mean it in any religious way. I mean to say that our expressions and our emotions, are like lights and shadows drawing our personality. One allows us to see the beauty of the other. Photography allows me to "draw" people's personality with images.Those two worlds. The contrast of a smile and an inquisitive look, a tear and a frown, a sweet look and a dominant one have to be captured. Both interesting, both enchanting, both revealing. That contrast is what I look for when I’m taking pictures: The eclipse in each individual...

Etymology of Eclipsi:

From the Latin: eclipsis — Greek. Ekleipsis.


From Jubolbenese Tongue: eclipsi.

Special thanks to Mike and my son Oscar for his contributions.

2 comments:

Carlitos said...

Muy chevere KUP!!!

Te hicieron tremendo trabajo!!

te jelicito!!!

Mike Dewaele said...

Do you need a photographer? I like this one. I have reviewed her work time and again and it is beyond outstanding! Cayupe's artistic interpretation, eye for the shot and timing are superb! The personal connection she makes with her subjects, the trust they have in her and the fun they are having while working with her is evident in every shot!